Subject: Re: ScreamerNet Questions
From: Mark Thompson <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 94 16:09:15 EDT

> 	Well, how many mips does the Raptor put out?

MIPs are meaningless. Using SPECmarks is a much better means of comparison
but even that is not entirely reliable.

> a 486-66 motherboard w/CPU will only be around $400-$500

You need a lot more than just motherboards to put together a render farm.

> If I'm not mistaken the Pentium-100 will put out 
> 260 mips (I'll check on this though) and with those systems ranging 
> around $5k, they look promising.

CPU		MHz	Sint92	Sfp92
-------------------------------------
R4400   	150	 94.5	105.2
Pentium 	100	100.0	 80.6

The R4400 has the advantage because rendering is inherently more floating
point intensive. NEC currently has a 133MHz R4400 WinNT box that goes for
$3400. This is considerably better than $5k for a Pentium system.
%~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~%
%      `       '        Mark Thompson                 CONCURRENT COMPUTER  %
% --==* RADIANT *==--   [email-masked]        Principal Graphics   %
%      ' Image `        ...!uunet!masscomp!mark       Hardware Architect   %
%     Productions       (508)392-2480 (603)424-1829   & General Nuisance   %
%                                                                          %
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~